Thursday, January 30, 2014

Trust Me. I've Been There



Odds are that if you are reading this blog, you are doing one thing to nurture yourself--practicing yoga. It's probably how we know each other.  Take a moment to acknowledge and affirm yourself for that. Certainly, with a career, trying to make the house payment, people who depend on you (spouse, kids, parents, dogs, cats, students), getting to class a few times a week is an amazing accomplishment. Well done.


But, have you ever wanted to go to a weekend workshop, or even a retreat and had this sentence come across your mind:


 “I would so love to go to that. I really could use that time for myself. . .

“It’s just not the right time. Maybe next year.”


 
Trust me. I’ve been there.


It seems that for the better part of my 16 years practicing yoga, everyone was going on some sort of a yoga trip. Inwardly I whined and moaned that they were single or didn’t have kids or had more money than I did. I would sit around and think about all the yoga trips I would go on when it was the RIGHT time, which was never in the present moment or even that year. The right time always involved the children being somewhat older than they were at that moment and life being somewhat more easeful than it was in that moment. Somehow in the mystical and magical future, I would have loads of money and I would be so free of responsibility that no one would even notice I was gone (which sounds just horrible, doesn’t it?).


 I have a secret for you. It will never be the right time. It will never be a good time.

There will always be something or someone that is demanding your attention away from yourself.


 
One day, when my children were at truly one of the most busy stages of life-10 and 12 and each playing on a competitive club sports team-in passing, I said to my husband (who worked full-time in Silicon Valley an hour+ commute each way; was a full-time, first-year law student; as well as a baseball coach of a club team) “I wish I could go on this great yoga retreat in Costa Rica with two of my favorite teachers. Maybe I’ll work on making it happen in a few years.”


You know what came back? “You should go. There’s going to be a lot of logistics to deal with all we’ve got going on, but you should go.”


It wasn’t even an issue! Only I was making it an issue! And in that moment, I figured out that the right time or a better time really was an expert tactic in martyrdom and self-sabotage. In that moment, I finally MADE the time I needed to not only take care of myself, but to be taken care of (and to model to my children that I was WORTH taking are of)?


I called in a lot of favors. My husband graciously juggled and made it work taking on all my responsibilities on top of his own. The retreat was one of the most amazing weeks of my life, and when I returned to my family, I was a better me than the one who left. I was refreshed and had been able to do some deep transformative work that made me a better version of myself. I got to model for my children that we have to take care of ourselves, nurture and nourish ourselves so that we can make our best offering to those we love and serve. When I came home from more than a week in Costa Rica, they were alive, happy, and had enjoyed the time away from me as much as I enjoyed my time away.


So, I understand, because I’ve been there.


If you need to take the next step in nourishing yourself, I’m here to help you figure that out. It may start with an afternoon that you dedicate to a special yoga class followed by a massage and dinner with friends. Or it maybe it’s a one-day urban retreat or a close-by weekend retreat. Or, maybe, just maybe, like me, you realize that there is no better time, and take the plunge to go on a longer retreat, such as the retreats I’m offering in Costa Rica this April (event link below). 


Whether it’s a retreat with me, or something closer to home, I can point you in the right direction because I know so many amazing yoga teachers all over the country and world. There IS something for you. And, I promise you, there will not be a “right” time, which means now is the right time. Let me know what I can do to help you nourish yourself as part of our year of cultivating the Pilgrim Heart. 


Today is the new moon and the beginning of the Year of the Wooden Horse. It’s time to take the reins of our own nourishment in 2014!





Details for my upcoming Costa Rica Retreats can be found at:


or feel free to email me at yogabohemian@gmail.com

 

No comments: